[R] Error in installing packages

Lazarus Mramba LMramba at kilifi.kemri-wellcome.org
Tue Jul 22 15:02:40 CEST 2008

Dear R Users;

I am an R user who has recently bought a new laptop;Toshiba Satellite
U405 running on both Windows Vista and Ubuntu.

I have problems on the wondows vista when installing packages. The
argument 'lib' is missing.  How do i solve this problem?

Illustration:

> install.packages("epicalc")
Warning in install.packages("epicalc") :
  argument 'lib' is missing: using
'C:\Users\lazurus\Documents/R/win-library/2.7'

--- Please select a CRAN mirror for use in this session ---
trying URL
'http://cran.za.r-project.org/bin/windows/contrib/2.7/epicalc_2.7.1.2.zip'
Content type 'application/zip' length 629215 bytes (614 Kb)
opened URL
downloaded 614 Kb

package 'epicalc' successfully unpacked and MD5 sums checked

The downloaded packages are in

C:\Users\lazurus\AppData\Local\Temp\RtmpMrOxin\downloaded_packages
updating HTML package descriptions

## problem 2 is about downloading R without internet connection
I have failed to get internet working under ubuntu for both wireless
LAN and Ethernet cable and therefore i cannot download R from the net.
Both wireless and ethernet are not detected at all leave alone
connecting to the internet. I am using Atheros AR5007EG wireless network
adapter, Marvel Yukon 88E8040T PCI-E Fat Ethernrt Controller.
Internet works fine under the windows Vista system but not on the
Ubuntu side
Anyhelp will be appreciated.

Kind regards,
Lazarus Mramba