[R] Package installation help: Stuck at "** byte-compile and prepare package for lazy loading"

Henrik Bengtsson henr|k@bengt@@on @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Thu Sep 30 04:42:57 CEST 2021

I just tried on an up-to-date CentOS 7 with R 4.1.1 built from source
using gcc 8.3.1 (from SCL devtoolset-8; so not the default gcc 4.8.5),
and it works there.  If of any help, here's the output when installing
to user's personal package library:

> chooseCRANmirror(ind = 1)
> install.packages("forensim")
Installing package into
‘/c4/home/henrik/R/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-library/4.1-CBI-gcc8’
(as ‘lib’ is unspecified)
trying URL 'https://cloud.r-project.org/src/contrib/forensim_4.3.tar.gz'
Content type 'application/x-gzip' length 84232 bytes (82 KB)
downloaded 82 KB

* installing *source* package ‘forensim’ ...
** package ‘forensim’ successfully unpacked and MD5 sums checked
** using staged installation
** libs
gcc -I"/software/c4/cbi/software/R-4.1.1-gcc8/lib64/R/include"
-DNDEBUG   -I/usr/local/include   -fpic  -g -O2  -c auxilary.c -o
auxilary.o
gcc -I"/software/c4/cbi/software/R-4.1.1-gcc8/lib64/R/include"
-DNDEBUG   -I/usr/local/include   -fpic  -g -O2  -c recursFinal.c -o
recursFinal.o
gcc -shared -L/software/c4/cbi/software/R-4.1.1-gcc8/lib64/R/lib
-L/usr/local/lib64 -o forensim.so auxilary.o recursFinal.o
-L/software/c4/cbi/software/R-4.1.1-gcc8/lib64/R/lib -lR
installing to /c4/home/henrik/R/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-library/4.1-CBI-gcc8/00LOCK-forensim/00new/forensim/libs
** R
** data
** inst
** byte-compile and prepare package for lazy loading
** help
*** installing help indices
** building package indices
** testing if installed package can be loaded from temporary location
** checking absolute paths in shared objects and dynamic libraries
** testing if installed package can be loaded from final location
** testing if installed package keeps a record of temporary installation path
* DONE (forensim)

The downloaded source packages are in
    ‘/scratch/henrik/RtmpYFlQyS/downloaded_packages’

You could also try to install it via 'R CMD INSTALL' and try with
different options disabled to maybe narrow in on what's going on.

My $.02

/Henrik