[R] Save creates huge files, dump doesn't

Doran, Harold HDor@n @end|ng |rom @|r@org
Tue Feb 19 19:26:02 CET 2019

Lars

Typically answers regarding shiny are not answered here (I do wish there was a SIG, however). With that said, are you saying that the object size is increasing for objects that previously were much smaller? Or, are other things now being saved into the workspace that were not there previously?

In other words, suppose you have some object called tmp. If you do object.size(tmp) on your older version and on the newer version are they the same size? Are the objects of the same class?

-----Original Message-----
From: R-help <r-help-bounces using r-project.org> On Behalf Of Lars Velten
Sent: Monday, February 18, 2019 2:51 PM
To: r-help using r-project.org
Subject: [R] Save creates huge files, dump doesn't

Dear list,
I noticed an extremely odd behavior... I have a rather complex shiny app which allows the user to store his/her state which internally obviously triggers as call to save as follows save(list=c("plots","gates","populations","cg", "genelists","colorscores",  "proj", "actds"),file=fname) this was all working fine until some time ago (?!?) files created by this command became several hundred MBs big... even thought the cumulative size of all objects in memory after load() is in the 10s of kB.
Changing to
dump(list=c("plots","gates","populations","cg", "genelists","colorscores",  "proj", "actds"),file=fname) solved the problem, output was then only 10s of kB.
(Why/when) is this behavior intended?
Best wishes,
Lars

	[[alternative HTML version deleted]]