[R] R editor for Mac

Berend Hasselman bhh at xs4all.nl
Thu Jan 21 21:43:27 CET 2016

> On 21 Jan 2016, at 19:06, Duncan Murdoch <murdoch.duncan at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> On 20/01/2016 1:28 PM, Duncan Murdoch wrote:
>> On 20/01/2016 1:22 PM, Christofer Bogaso wrote:
>> > Hi,
>> >
>> > Could you please suggest a good R editor for Mac OS X (10.7.5)
>> > Previously my operating system was Windows and there I used Notepad++,
>> > I really had very nice experience with it. However I dont see any Mac
>> > version is available for Mac.
>> >
>> > Appreciate your positive feedback.
>>
>> RStudio is probably best on both OS X and Windows.    A nice advantage
>> is that it looks the same on both, so you can move back and forth.
>>
>> I only know two negatives:
>>
>>   - I still don't like the tiled window.  I often work on a small
>> screen, and it's not enough space.
>>
>>   - The editor still changes file endings to native format whenever it
>> saves.  It would be better if it handled both Windows and Unix line
>> endings in both systems, and left them alone unless the user asked them
>> to be changed.
>
> I've just heard offline from JJ Allaire that both negatives above have been addressed in a version soon to be released.   Excellent news!

The Rstudio editor has a weird difference between OS X and Linux.
It has a shortcut Ctrl+K which is supposed to Delete to Line End (and not delete the Line End).

On OS X the shortcut Ctrl+K will also delete the end of line thus joining the next line with the remainder of the current line.
On Linux that doesn't happen.

I've complained about that quite some time ago but nothing seems to be done about it.

Berend