[R] Why does debugging print() change output of function?

William Dunlap wdunlap at tibco.com
Wed Sep 10 18:06:17 CEST 2014

Another nice thing about using ~formula is that it stores the
environment in which the formula was made along with the formula.
Thus you know which envrionment should be used with evaluating it (and
don't have to guess that parent.frame() may be the right environmnet).
  E.g.,
  evalRHS <- function(formula) {
     RHS <- formula[[length(formula)]]
     eval(RHS, envir=environment(formula))
  }
  p1 <- 1:3
  p2 <- 11:13
  f1 <- function(formula) {
      p1 <- 1000
      evalRHS(formula)
  }
  f1(~p1+p2) # does not use the p1 defined in f1
  # [1] 12 14 16
If you do want to override some of the variables in the formula you
can do that by replacing the environment of the formula with a child
of that environment.  Do this in a function so it only replaces the
environment in a copy of the formula, not the original one.
  f2 <- function(formula) {
      environment(formula) <- list2env(list(p1=1000),
new.env(parent=environment(formula)))
      evalRHS(formula)
  }
  f2(~p1+p2)
  # [1] 1011 1012 1013
  f1(~p1+p2)
  # [1] 12 14 16

(These examples are not the best since the global environment is
searched in any case.  Put the entire example inside a function to see
the strength of the formula approach.)

Bill Dunlap
TIBCO Software
wdunlap tibco.com