[R] discriminant function analysis in R

Jason Miller millerj at truman.edu
Wed Mar 30 02:32:37 CEST 2005

Dear R Users,

I'm very very interested in learning how to use R to carry out a
classification of data using discriminant function analysis.  I've
found the MASS package and the lda function, but the examples in the
help system are a bit over my head.  I'm not exactly sure how to
interpret the output, for example, of if the inputs I've chosen are
best suited to my needs.

I was hoping I could converse with a lister or two to help me get
started on the road to involving R in this project.  (I'm willing to
carry on the conversation using the R-users list, but I am wary of
abusing the list.)  The alternative to R is for me to use SPSS.  It's
what we've used up until now, but nobody loves it.  The undergraduates
that I'm working with would have a much better learning experience if
they were able to explore our multivariate with data using R.

By students and I have data sets with sixteen continuous variables, and
DFA has been shown to do a reasonable job of classifying the origin of
a new datum correctly.  We want to learn how to do this ourselves so
that we can work on improving the DFA model by adding new variables or
modifying the nature of the data sets we work with in a "natural way."

If you are willing to answer questions and can help me get to the point
where I can use R to do some of my analysis, I'd write up what I
learned about using the tool and make it available on my website and on
http://mathbio.truman.edu.

So, if you can help, please shoot me a note.  Thanks in advance.

Jason

Jason E. Miller, Ph.D.
Associate Professor of Mathematics
Truman State University