[R] Calling R from fortran

Michael Prager Mike.Prager at noaa.gov
Wed Jul 13 01:56:39 CEST 2005

Simon,

An hour's worth of contour plots (12) should be able to be saved in far
less than 1 Gb, depending on the detail desired.

Here is one way to do your task. There are other, and probably better, ones.

At each time step (5 mins), you could have the Fortran program write a
data file and then write and execute a script file.  The script file
would call R as a batch process to make a contour graph and save it (as
PNG perhaps), and then the script would delete the data file.  You might
want to have the generated script files omit the "delete" step once per
hour, just in case the R step should fail when you are not around to
observe the failure.

I don't know if R can easily read Fortran unformatted (sometimes called
"binary") data, or how.  That would speed up the Fortran I/O and
possibly reduce file size.  If you go with formatted output, consider
limiting the number of decimal places you write to save disk space.  In
most applications, you won't need great precision for simply making
graphs. Also, for writing large amounts of data, test various block
sizes on the Fortran OPEN statement to get best I/O speed.

Another possibility would be to use a Fortran library (like the free or
inexpensive DISLIN) that can make the contour plots directly, without
using R.

...Mike

--
Michael H. Prager, Ph.D.