[R] Calling R from fortran

simon sentientc at gmail.com
Tue Jul 12 22:02:06 CEST 2005

Hi,
The following may sound stupid so please forgive my stupidness. I have a
question which I don't know how to name it so I have to start from the
beginning. In an attempt to gain better understand how a photochemical
air qaulity model works, I plotted hourly ozone concentration contour
from the model's standard output to observe the changes in simulation.
Because the model actually peroform simulation in time steps of 5
minutes, it will give a better resoultion if I can plot the ozone
concentration with time resolution close to the model. However, if I
modify the model to output data at every time step, it will be
impossible for the computer to store this much information( the hourly
standard output is close to 1gb). I was wondering if it is possible to
modify fortran to call R or something, which can just plot a contour at
every time step rather than put it as data. I am not sure about how to
call this act. Also, if this is possible, will output of a contour give
a smaller file size than data?
Thanks in advance,
simon