[R] problem with R on mac os x

Eric Pante ericpante at hotmail.com
Tue Dec 13 00:27:47 CET 2005

Hello all,

R just ''stopped working'' on my machine (ibook g4, os 10.3.9). between
last time I used it and now, I did not do anything but check emails and
browse the internet. when I try to start the GUI, it appears and
disappears as rapidly. when I tried to run a session from the terminal,
I got the following:
	mkdir: /tmp/Rtmp590-29493: Permission denied
	mkdir: /tmp/Rtmp590: Permission denied
	ERROR: cannot create temporary R session directory
If I log as root, I can start a session from the terminal, so I figured
that somewhere file permissions got corrupted. therefore, I
re-installed R (I tried 2.1.1 and 2.2.0), but same result: I can't
start a session. The install itself runs fine, though.

Does anyone know what is going on? Where can I re-establish my
''rights'' to use R ??? My R.app file is defined as drwxrwxr-x. I did
not see any mention of a similar problem in the archives.

Thank you in advance for your insights!
eric

Eric Pante
Graduate Student in Marine Biology
Grice Marine Laboratory
205 Fort Johnson Road, Charleston SC 29412