[R] arsinh

Albyn Jones jones at reed.edu
Tue Mar 26 05:10:03 CET 2002

On Mon, 25 Mar 2002, Ben Bolker wrote:

>   Do you mean the inverse hyperbolic sin (arcsinh)?  In my experience the
> hyperbolic functions are usually pronounced with a "ch" (as in "church")
> for tanh and sinh or "sh" (for cosh) at the end: "ark-sinch" would be a
> transcription.
the inverse hyperbolic sin is often called "arsinh" (pronounced ar-sinch)
rather than "arcsinh" for good reason.  

arcsin(x) is the _arc_ (ie angle) with sin equal to x

arsinh(x) is an _area_ corresponding to a sinh of x

http://www.reed.edu/~jones    Albyn Jones	  jones at reed.edu
Reed College, Portland OR 97202             (503)-771-1112 x7418

r-help mailing list -- Read http://www.ci.tuwien.ac.at/~hornik/R/R-FAQ.html
Send "info", "help", or "[un]subscribe"
(in the "body", not the subject !)  To: r-help-request at stat.math.ethz.ch

More information about the R-help mailing list