[BioC] what is the correct method to use AnnotatedDataFrame?

Martin Morgan mtmorgan at fhcrc.org
Sat May 12 20:29:11 CEST 2007

Daofeng,

The answer to the question in your subject line is in the help page
for AnnotatedDataFrame, accessible with any of the help commands

> library(Biobase)
> ?AnnotatedDataFrame
> class?AnnotatedDataFrame
> help("AnnotatedDataFrame")

The initial _errors_ you receive below are from typing mistakes, e.g.,
'spikenin95' rather than 'spikein95'. Probably in asking for help on
the list you'll want to create a clean transcript that contains just
the problem, and not additional information.

The initial _warning_ is more difficult -- Bioconductor changes, and
some of the data objects in use at the time the monograph was produced
are being 'Deprecated' (marked as no longer supported), so the
monograph is no longer a completely accurate guide.

Trying to adapt the monograph code to work with current data objects
is challenging. For instance, spikein95 has the 'old' definition of
AffyBatch. AnnotatedDataFrame is the new version of phenoData. The
underlying code for assigning phenoData to an AffyBatch object
reflects the new objects, assigning AnnotatedDataFrame objects to the
appropriate place in AffyBatch objects -- it makes no sense for an old
phenoData object to be assigned to a new AffyBatch object, or to
assign a new AnnotatedDataFrame to an old AffyBatch.

One possibility it to use the version of R and Bioconductor that the
monograph was originally processed with. This is probably not a good
idea, since a benefit of Bioconductor is that it has changed to
address current challenges.

Another possibility is to update the data to its current definition, and
use the AnnotatedDataFrame object in place of the phenoData object:

> spikein2007 <- updateObject(spikein95)
> spikein2007 <- updateObject(spikein95)
removing 'se.exprs' with all NA values
> phenoData(spikein2007) <- new("AnnotatedDataFrame",
+  data=data.frame())

Notice that 'phenoData<-' here is a method ('replace the phenotypic
data for spikein2007 with the new AnnotatedDataFrame object'), and
AnnotatedDataFrame an object.

I don't know how productive this is for learning Bioconductor
-- you'll learn the original data objects and methods, the new data
objects and method, and how to update from old to new. You won't learn
about any methods developed since the monograph was published. And
really all you want is to learn the current data and methods.

My suggestion (others probably have better ideas) is to use the
monograph to get a broad picture of how Bioconductor works and the
sorts of tasks it is good for. Then visit the 'Browse Packages' link
on bioconductor.org and identify packages, referenced in the monograph
or other, that perform tasks you want to do. From here the strategy is
to use the package vignettes and help pages.

Finally, already you are learning the essential Bioconductor -- how to
install R and packages, how to interact with the R evaluator, where to
find help, what general facilities are available, how to write your
own analysis work flows, ..., and of course that to stay current with
changing biological questions and data leads to changing software.

Hope that helps

Martin

Martin Morgan
Bioconductor / Computational Biology