[R-sig-ME] G vs R posterior correlation in bivariate MCMCglmm

Xav Harrison xav.harrison at gmail.com
Wed Oct 26 14:16:04 CEST 2016

Hi Jarrod

Thanks for the swift and helpful reply. That makes a lot of sense. I should
have said in the original email that I have taken this approach rather than
fitting a Disease ~ Phenotype model because we have predictors that
influence both simultaneously. For example we know both mean disease
intensity and mean phenotype were lower in 2014. I was hoping to use the
bivariate model approach to estimate the posterior correlation between the
two traits once 'controlling' for the predictors and seeing what's left.
Does this sound sensible?

If you wouldn't mind elaborating further, I'm trying to work out what it
means when there is a non-zero correlation at the site level but not at the
units level, which some models have recovered. Is this a problem suggestive
of insufficient data to estimate both matrices accurately, or something
that could be biologically plausible? I'm afraid of thinking I've found the
golden egg but in fact have built myself a nice random number generator by
asking too much of the models.

Thanks again

Xav

Dr Xavier Harrison