[R] Identification of Turning Points in a Signal

Ogbos Okike g||ted|||e2014 @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Sun Feb 16 04:12:25 CET 2020

Dear Abby,
Many thanks for your feedback on this.

True, the structure of my question was not clear.  I realized it later
and have been thinking of a better way to re-posting. I am sorry about
that. I will make extra efforts here to make it clearer.

I have just a single data. I have tried to use dput to send the full
data (see attached, Ogbos-dput). This is the raw data with labels
year, month, day and cosmic ray count.

I have two codes for the same data. The first is a combination of
Fourier transform and an R code for pits/trough identification. I am
displaying the script here:
data <- read.table("OULU05", col.names = c("year", "month", "day", "counts"))

new.century <- data$year < 50

data$year <- ifelse(new.century, data$year + 2000, data$year + 1900)

data$date <- as.Date(ISOdate(data$year, data$month, data$day))
x = data$date
 y = data$counts
 y1<-approx(x,y,xout=x)$y
 RECON = 12
 f = fft(d<-y1)
p<-1:length(f)
 f[(p > RECON/2 + 1) & (p <= length(d) - RECON/2)] = 0
 f<-fft(f, inverse = TRUE)/length(f)
 data$smooth = abs(f)
 data$residual = y1 - data$smooth

 library(pastecs)
 tp<-turnpoints(data$residual)
 res<-(1:length(data$residual))[tp$pit]
 minima<-which(tp$pit & data$residual<= -100)
 dates<-data$date[minima]
 k<-data$residual[minima]

png("2005A.png")

 plot(x, data$residual/100, type = "l")
 points(dates, k/100, lty = 2, col = 4)
dev.off()

The above runs OK as you may see.

The second code is similar but without the Fourier transform part. I
have only standardized the data in the second script. My aim here is
the same, to pick turning points/pits in the standardized (raw) data.
The script I tried to use is:
data <- read.table("OULU05", col.names = c("year", "month", "day", "counts"))

new.century <- data$year < 50

data$year <- ifelse(new.century, data$year + 2000, data$year + 1900)

data$date <- as.Date(ISOdate(data$year, data$month, data$day))
x = data$date
 y = data$counts
y<-c(y-mean(y))/mean(y)*100
  data$residual = y

 library(pastecs)
 tp<-turnpoints(data$residual)
 res<-(1:length(data$residual))[tp$pit]
 minima<-which(tp$pit & data$residual<= -100)
 dates<-data$date[minima]
 k<-data$residual[minima]

png("2005B.png")

 plot(x, data$residual/100, type = "l")
 points(dates, k/100, lty = 2, col = 4)
dev.off()

This second script is where I have issues. It runs with warning/error.
And this is where I need help.

Thanks again for your kind assistance.

Best regards
Ogbos