[R] particle count probability

PIKAL Petr petr@p|k@| @end|ng |rom prechez@@cz
Thu Feb 21 09:52:50 CET 2019

Hallo

Thanks all for valuable suggestions. As always, people here are generous and clever. I will try to think through all your suggestions, including recommended literature.

Jim. Standard practice in particle measurement is to count (and mesure) only particles which are fully inside viewing area. So using your equation I could compare probability for let say particles with R1 = c(0.1, 1). But I probably misunderstand something. Having x0, y0 = 0 and x1 =10 and y1 = 0 I get

> sqrt((10+c(0.1, 1)-0)^2 + (0+c(0.1,1)-0)^2)
[1] 10.10050 11.04536

which gives in contrary higher value for bigger particle.

OTOH, if I take your first reasoning I get quite satisfactory values.

> 1-(10-c(0.1, 1))* (10-c(0.1,1))/(10^2)
[1] 0.0199 0.1900

Cheers.
Petr