[R] Using weights with truncreg

Achim Zeileis Achim.Zeileis at uibk.ac.at
Mon Jun 13 21:35:21 CEST 2016

On Mon, 13 Jun 2016, Ganz, Carl wrote:

> Hello everyone,
>
> I would like to use truncreg on survey data with weights, but so far as I can tell the weight parameter in truncreg is not working. I find that using weights does not actually change the output.
>
> Here is a small reproducible example using the example in the documentation:
>
> ## simulate a data.frame
> set.seed(1071)
> n <- 10000
> sigma <- 4
> alpha <- 2
> beta <- 1
> x <- rnorm(n, mean = 0, sd = 2)
> eps <- rnorm(n, sd = sigma)
> y <- alpha + beta * x + eps
> d <- data.frame(y = y, x = x)
>
> ## truncated response
> d$yt <- ifelse(d$y > 1, d$y, NA)
>
> ## binary threshold response
> d$yb <- factor(d$y > 0)
>
> ## censored response
> d$yc <- pmax(1, d$y)
>
> ## random weight
> wgt <- runif(10000,500,1500)
> ## unweighted
> fm_trunc <- truncreg(yt ~ x, data = d, point = 1, direction = "left")
> ## weighted
> fm_trunc_weighted <- truncreg(yt ~ x, data = d, weights = wgt, point = 1, direction = "left")
>
> coef(fm_trunc_weighted)==coef(fm_trunc) # all equal
>
> Am I misunderstanding how the weight parameter works for truncreg or is
> the weight parameter not working?

I think you are right and the 'weights' argument in truncreg() is
currently not used.

As an alternative you can use the "crch" package for censored (and
truncated) regression with conditional heteroskedasticity. The models
above can be fitted via:

library("crch")
fm_trunc2 <- trch(yt ~ x, data = d, left = 1)
fm_trunc_weighted2 <- trch(yt ~ x, data = d, weights = wgt, left = 1)

Note that by default a log-link is used for the sigma/scale parameter to
assure positivity. But you can also set link.scale="identity" to obtain
the same results as in truncreg().