[R] Panel plots for means of cyclical observations

Richard M. Heiberger rmh at temple.edu
Fri Jan 15 17:06:34 CET 2016

## Kieran,

## I think the root problem is that you allowed the levels of month to
be alphabetical.

## continuing with your example
##You need to take control of the levels with a statement like
levels(z$month)
z$month <- factor(z$month, levels=monthsOfYear)
levels(z$month)

## now you can write something like
z$month.parity <- factor(z$month,
levels=unlist(matrix(levels(z$month), 6, 2, byrow=TRUE)))
levels(z$month.parity)
##  [1] "January"   "March"     "May"       "July"      "September" "November"
##  [7] "February"  "April"     "June"      "August"    "October"   "December"
xyplot(rainfall ~ date | month, layout=c(2, 6), data=z)
xyplot(rainfall ~ date | month.parity, layout=c(6, 2), data=z)

## I hope the modifications to deal with your summary measures will be
straightforward.

## Rich