[R] Issue with 95% CI using MASS{confint}

Duncan Murdoch murdoch.duncan at gmail.com
Thu May 28 19:36:40 CEST 2015

On 28/05/2015 1:11 PM, Jennifer Sweatman wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Thank you for your responses. Unfortunately, setting level=0.9500001 or
> 0.949999 did not work for me. I followed your code, Duncan, and some of my
> tau values are less than 2.  I don't know how to interpret this
> information, however. Can you point me in the direction to a reference?

This is probably discussed in the MASS book, but I don't have a copy at
hand.  I learned it from Bates
and Watts' Nonlinear Regression, Ch 6, Graphical Summaries of Nonlinear
Inference Regions.  The
idea is that the tau parameter should have roughly a N(0,1) distribution
if the parameter is
correct, so the confidence region corresponds to the set of parameters
where tau is in the
central 95% of that distribution, i.e. +/- 1.96.  If tau never goes
outside that range, then you can't limit the parameter.

Duncan Murdoch