[R] fonts in R-3.2.0

Jim Lemon drjimlemon at gmail.com
Mon May 11 01:46:12 CEST 2015

Hi all,
I compiled R-3.2.0 from source a few weeks ago and was surprised to
find that the only font that appeared on plots was the System font,
not the most elegant. I had R-3.1.3 previously and all fonts seemed to
be available on my system (Fedora 21). I have the latest version of
urw-fonts (2.4-19) installed and have no problems with fonts that I
can see in any other applications. For example, converting Postscript
files to PDF using ghostcript -sDEVICE=pdfwrite ... gives the correct
fonts when they are not embedded in the Postscript file.

I assume that this is some problem with the location of the font
libraries, but despite poring through the Installation manual,
browsing the configure log and searching "no fonts in R-3.2.0" and
similar search terms, I haven't progressed very far. Any hints?

Jim