[R] ggmap warning

William Dunlap wdunlap at tibco.com
Thu Jul 9 23:12:57 CEST 2015

Look at your data.frame with str() and see if the variables you think
are numeric are actually factors.  is.finite(factor()) reports TRUE but
lots of functions expecting numeric data will abort when given factor
data.

E.g.
library(ggplot2)
> d <- data.frame(X=factor(round(sin(1:1000),1)),
Y=factor(round(sin((1:1000)*4),1)))
> head(d)
     X    Y
1  0.8 -0.8
2  0.9    1
3  0.1 -0.5
4 -0.8 -0.3
5   -1  0.9
6 -0.3 -0.9
>  ggplot(d, aes(x=X, y=Y)) + geom_point() + geom_density2d()
Error in if (any(h <= 0)) stop("bandwidths must be strictly positive") :
  missing value where TRUE/FALSE needed
> # no contours displayed
>  ggplot(d, aes(x=as.numeric(as.character(X)),
y=as.numeric(as.character(Y)))) + geom_point() + geom_density2d()
> # see contours of 2d density

If you have factors where you expect numbers then try rereading the file
using
read.table(colClasses=c("numeric","numeric",...), ...) and look at the
missing
values to see why they appeared that way.  (E.g., does the text file use
commas
for the decimal points or thousands separators?)

Bill Dunlap
TIBCO Software
wdunlap tibco.com