[R] anova.coxph with subsets of data

David Winsemius dwinsemius at comcast.net
Wed Jan 29 01:10:52 CET 2014

On Jan 28, 2014, at 10:32 AM, Oscar Rueda wrote:

> Dear list,
> I'm using the rms package to fit some Cox models. I run anova() on them to obtain sequential p-values, but I'm getting strange results when I run it on a subset of the data.
>
> Following the example on the help page of anova.coxph:
>> library(rms)
>> data(ovarian)
>> fit <- coxph(Surv(futime, fustat) ~ resid.ds *rx + ecog.ps, data = ovarian)
>> anova(fit)
>> fit2 <- coxph(Surv(futime, fustat) ~ resid.ds +rx + ecog.ps, data=ovarian)
>> anova(fit2,fit)
>
> would give me the same result, as expected.
> But If I do
>
>> fit <- coxph(Surv(futime, fustat) ~ resid.ds *rx + ecog.ps, data = ovarian, subset=ovarian$age>50)
>> anova(fit)
>> fit2 <- coxph(Surv(futime, fustat) ~ resid.ds +rx + ecog.ps, data=ovarian, subset=ovarian$age>50)
>> anova(fit2,fit)
>
> The first p-value seems to be wrong.

Wrong ... in what way?

> Would anybody please explain to me why?

Perhaps because anova is a generic function and you were expecting anova.cph to be used but the coxph function is not from pkg:rms but rather from pkg:survival.

methods(anova)  # with both rms and survival loaded

>  methods(anova)
 [1] anova.coxmelist*   anova.coxph*       anova.coxphlist*   anova.glm
 [5] anova.glmlist      anova.glmmPQL*     anova.lm           anova.loess*
 [9] anova.loglm*       anova.mlm          anova.negbin*      anova.nls*
[13] anova.polr*        anova.rms*         anova.rq           anova.rqlist
[17] anova.survreg*     anova.survreglist*