[R] Package unpacks (successfully and MD5 sums checked" but will not load "not a valid package"

dbertin dbertin at uoguelph.ca
Tue May 28 22:41:34 CEST 2013

> utils:::menuInstallLocal()
package ‘surv2sample’ successfully unpacked and MD5 sums checked
> library(surv2sample)
Error in library(surv2sample) :
  ‘surv2sample’ is not a valid installed package

Furthermore, if I go through "Packages->Load package" from the top bar
surv2sample isn't in the list.  It is, however in the directory that the
library() function uses and its contents look similar to the other, working
packages.  One odd thing is that I had to download the package .zip and
install locally since it doesn't show up in the GUI package list even with
all repositories selected.  I can't imagine why it won't load given that
everything else seems to work properly.

Any ideas?