[R] Declare BASH Array Using R System Function

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Mon Jul 29 12:45:56 CEST 2013

On 29/07/2013 08:49, peter dalgaard wrote:

> On Jul 29, 2013, at 08:27 , Jeff Newmiller wrote:
>
>> You seem confused.
>
> Not particularly, but he needs to be aware of _which_ shell R is executing in system() calls. These things work for me:
>
>> system("foo=(bar baz); echo ${foo[1]}")
> baz
>
> Dario's issue is suggested by his error message

>>> sh: Syntax error: "(" unexpected
>
> The shell is (Bourne) "sh", not "bash", so bash extension won't work.

See below: the shell should always be 'sh'.

> This is highly system dependent: On OSX Snow Leopard, e.g., /bin/sh really is GNU bash, which is why it works for me. Others have the more sane setup where /bin/sh really is Bourne sh.

On recent OS X /bin/sh is *a variant of* bash.  E.g. shopt xpg_echo is
different if it gets invoked as sh or bash.  Where sh is a link to bash
the behaviour is usually different depending on how it is invoked.

There are quite a lot of systems for which /bin/sh is not based on
either bash or Bourne sh.  As I understand it, Debian/Ubuntu nowadays
use dash by default, and some other Linuxen use ash.  zsh is also seen
as a system shell.  And in many cases this is configurable

Note too that there is quite a lot of flexibility in how bash is configured.

> Next question is of course how to ensure that bash gets used. I must admit that I have long forgotten...

 From ?system

      ‘command’ is parsed as a command plus arguments separated by
      spaces.  So if the path to the command (or an argument) contains
      spaces, it must be quoted e.g. by ‘shQuote’.  Unix-alikes pass the
      command line to a shell (normally ‘/bin/sh’, and POSIX requires
      that shell), so ‘command’ can be anything the shell regards as
      executable, including shell scripts, and it can contain multiple
      commands separated by ‘;’.

So you do not have a choice of shell, and the command-line you pass
needs to invoke a different shell if that is what you want.

But apart from knowing that R's system calls the system(1) OS call (on a
Unix-alike) there is nothing relevant to R-help here.

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk