[R] ifelse -does it "manage the indexing"?

William Dunlap wdunlap at tibco.com
Tue Dec 3 02:16:23 CET 2013

> It seems so inefficient.

But ifelse knows nothing about the expressions given
as its second and third arguments -- it only sees their
values after they are evaluated.  Even if it could see the
expressions, it would not be able to assume that f(x[i])
is the same as f(x)[i] or things like
   ifelse(x>0, cumsum(x), cumsum(-x))
would not work.

You can avoid the computing all of f(x) and then extracting
a few elements from it by doing something like
   x <- c("Wednesday", "Monday", "Wednesday")
   z1 <- character(length(x))
   z1[x=="Monday"] <- "Mon"
   z1[x=="Tuesday"] <- "Tue"
   z1[x=="Wednesday"] <- "Wed"
or
   LongDayNames <- c("Monday","Tuesday","Wednesday")
   ShortDayNames <- c("Mon", "Tue", "Wed")
   z2 <- character(length(x))
   for(i in seq_along(LongDayNames)) {
      z2[x==LongDayNames[i]] <- ShortDayNames[i]
   }

To avoid the repeated x==value[i] you can use match(x, values).
   z3 <- ShortDayNames[match(x, LongDayNames)]

z1, z2, and z3 are identical  character vectors.

Or, you can use factors.
   > factor(x, levels=LongDayNames, labels=ShortDayNames)
   [1] Wed Mon Wed
   Levels: Mon Tue Wed

Bill Dunlap
Spotfire, TIBCO Software