[R] ploting several functions on the same plot

Julio Sergio juliosergio at gmail.com
Thu Apr 4 04:20:47 CEST 2013

Duncan Murdoch <murdoch.duncan <at> gmail.com> writes:

> curve(L1, add=TRUE) should handle it.

Thanks Duncan,

Your solution worked great!
However, I'm puzzled for a problem in the same line: When I passed a
"function producer" to plot, again it works well; however it doesn't work in
the same way when I try to use this same argument in curve. See what I'm
referring to:

  # A particular normal distribution function:
  dn8 <- function(z,m) dnorm(z,m,8) #  norm dist with sd=8

  # A function that produces functions:
  #   returns a function such that given a mean(i) depends only
  #   on z
  fi <- function(i) function(z) dn8(z,i)

  plot(fi(370),xlim=c(360,420)) # Works well!

  curve(fi(380),add=T) # This doesn't work

  # But in this way, it works!
  ff <- fi(380)
  curve(ff,add=T)

I cannot understand this behaviour. Could anyone give me some feedback on
this?

Thanks,
 -Sergio.