[R] Names of Greek letters stored as character strings; plotmath.

William Dunlap wdunlap at tibco.com
Mon May 21 17:07:20 CEST 2012

> I think though that the concepts involved are really truly subtle

I don't think the concepts are "truly subtle"; it is essentially the
difference between things and names of things (and names are
also things).   However, we have muddied the waters by providing
"convenience" functions like library() and help() and some plotmath
constructs that try to cover up the difference between a thing and
its name.

Bill Dunlap
Spotfire, TIBCO Software
wdunlap tibco.com