[R] selecting rows by maximum value of one variables in dataframe nested by another Variable

Petr PIKAL petr.pikal at precheza.cz
Wed Jun 27 10:30:24 CEST 2012

Hi

> How could I select the rows of a dataset that have the maximum value in
> one variable and to do this nested in another variable. It is a
dataframe
> in long format with repeated measures per subject.
> I was not successful using aggregate, because one of the columns has

You could do it by aggregate and subsequent selection matching values from
your data frame but it is perfect example for powerfull list operations

> do.call("rbind",lapply(split(test, test$subject), function(x)
x[which.max(x[,2]),]))
  subject time.ms      V3
1       1      22 stringC
2       2      25 stringA

split splits data frame test according to subject variable into list of
sub data frames
function x computes which is maximum value in second column in each sub
data frame and selects the appropriate row
do.call takes the list and rbinds it to one final data frame.

Regards
Petr