[R] Running odfWeave on its own examples.odt

John C Nash nashjc at uottawa.ca
Fri Aug 10 13:55:04 CEST 2012

I'm trying to see if I can help some Windows users, but in WinXP and Win7 virtual machines
and in a Win 7-64 real environment, after extracting the odfWeave examples.odt from the
package and putting it in my working directory ("My Documents") where R can see and unpack
it, I get "unable to convert 'examples.odt' to the current locale". I've tried some
searches about UTF8 on Windows, which gave discouraging answers, and also the Sweave
manual suggestions of different options(), e.g., I tried the suggestions regarding
useFancyQuotes but without success.

Things work fine (of course!) in Linux of different flavours, so I suspect this is a
general Win issue, and I'm hopeful there is a simple workaround.

The reproducible code is to source("tester.R") from R prompt or else

Rscript tester.R

where tester.R contains

  library(odfWeave)
  test<-odfWeave("examples.odt", "ex1out.odt")

and this gives the same message "unable to convert examples.odt in the current locale".

For information, changing the file to "simple.odt" does work, at least on one of my systems.

John Nash