[R] help about fitdistr funtion

R. Michael Weylandt michael.weylandt at gmail.com
Wed Nov 30 21:03:51 CET 2011

I like to use split() to split your data into groups, then run
lapply() to use fitdistr on each element of the list.

E.g,

df <- data.frame(X = rnorm(500), ID = sample(letters[1:5], 500, TRUE))

temp <- split(df$X, df$ID)
lapply(temp, fitdistr, "normal")

Though it's just as easy with tapply():

tapply(df$X, df$ID, fitdistr, "normal")