[R] I cannot get species scores to plot with site scores in MDS when I use a distance matrix as input. Problems with NA's?

Edwin Lebrija Trejos elebrija at hotmail.com
Sun Nov 27 15:16:29 CET 2011

Hi,
I have used the daisy() function from the package "cluster" as suggested. Indeed it can handle Na's but this is not different from the gowdis() function in Package "FD". My problem is not calculating the similarity matrix for its use with the metaMDS() function. My problem is that because I am using a similarity matrix as input for the metaMDS() function, then there are no "species scores" (in my case plant traits) available to plot together with the "site scores" (in my case species). Using the daisy() function does not solve the problem (see warning message):

> NMDSdaysi<-metaMDS(daisy(TraitsNMDS, metric="gower",type = list(ordratio = 8:9,asymm = 7)))
> plot(NMDSdaysi)
Warning message:
In ordiplot(x, choices = choices, type = type, display = display,  :
  Species scores not available

In my original post I explain that I have tried obtaining species scores using the functions wascores() and add.spec.scores() of the packages vegan and BiodiversityR but wascores returns an error:

> TraitsNMDSdummies<-dummy.data.frame(TraitsNMDS, c("leaf.type","dispersal.rank"))
> NMDSwasc<-wascores(NMDSpoints,TraitsNMDSdummies)
Error in if (any(w < 0) || sum(w) == 0) stop("weights must be non-negative and not all zero") :
  missing value where TRUE/FALSE needed

And function add.spec.scores() does not solves the problem as the warning message shows:
> A<-add.spec.scores(ordi=NMDSdaysi,comm=TraitsNMDSdummies,method="cor.scores",multi=1,Rscale=F,scaling="1")
> plot(A)
Warning message:
In ordiplot(x, choices = choices, type = type, display = display,  :
  Species scores not available

I still don' know why I get an error in wascores() or how can I get species scores to use in a biplot.

------------------------------ Message: 47Date: Thu, 24 Nov 2011 07:57:57 -0800 (PST)
From: B77S <bps0002 at auburn.edu>To: r-help at r-project.orgSubject: Re: [R] I cannot get species scores to plot with site scoresin MDS when I use a distance matrix as input. Problems with NA's?Message-ID: <1322150277396-4104406.post at n4.nabble.com>Content-Type:

Try the daisy() function from the package "cluster", it seems to be able to handle NAs and non-dummy coded character variables metaMDS(daisy(df, metric="gower"))

Edwin Lebrija Trejos wrote>
______________________________________________> R-help@ mailing list> https://stat.ethz.ch/mailman/listinfo/r-help> PLEASE do read the posting guide> http://www.R-project.org/posting-guide.html> and provide commented, minimal, self-contained, reproducible code.>   --View this message in context: http://r.789695.n4.nabble.com/I-cannot-get-species-scores-to-plot-with-site-scores-in-MDS-when-I-use-a-distance-matrix-as-input-Pr-tp4103699p4104406.htmlSent from the R help mailing list archive at Nabble.com.