[R] Fatal error: unable to restore saved dat in .RData

David Wolfskill r at catwhisker.org
Wed Mar 30 04:40:58 CEST 2011

On Tue, Mar 29, 2011 at 10:29:52PM -0400, John Sorkin wrote:
> Windows 7
> R 2.12.2
>
> When I launch R, I get the following error message:
>
> Fatal error: unable to restore saved dat in .RData
>

> after which R closes.
>
> What does the error message mean, and what can I do to get R to work?  I tried removing the R program, re-downloaded the program, and re-installed the program. I still get the error message.

I don't know exactly what the message means, and I'm not much use with
Windows, but I suggest trying to move aside (by renaming) the .RData
file.

My guess is that R is behaving as if the saved data is corrupted
somehow.

Perhaps someone with more of a clue than I might be able to help you
recover any recoverable bits from the file.

Peace,
david
David H. Wolfskill				r at catwhisker.org
Depriving a girl or boy of an opportunity for education is evil.