[R] read file part way through based on start and end date (first column)

algotr8der algotr8der at gmail.com
Mon Mar 21 04:20:43 CET 2011

THanks Jim. Eventually I do want to store the records in a database... so
mySQL. But right now I want to run some analytics on the data so I'm looking
for a quick and dirty solution that can give me the flexibility to extract
data on various time periods. I think a perl script that uses Text:CSV_XS
and Parse::CSV would be the best for now....  too bad I haven't ever
programmed in perl.

I know in the end the perl script necessary to do what I want will turn out
to be 15-20 lines of code but it is going to take me hours....  it has
already taken me 5 hours just to learn about the modules and install them.
Now I'm onto the task of how to use them and am having various problems
parsing the fields. But I guess this is a good learning exercise.

Thank you for the valuable comments.