[R] Can R (without GUI) be compiled with static linking?

Jonathan Callahan jonathan.s.callahan at mazamascience.com
Fri Jul 29 19:16:08 CEST 2011

Barry Rowlingson wrote:

> Personally, given that R can't do much anything without all its base
> packages (ie the single /usr/local/bin/R.bin executable can't do
> anything on its own) I can't see the point in a single static binary.
> If the client is worried about library compatibility then build R with
> dynamic linking and then make a lib directory somewhere and copy all
> the libs the binary needs there. Then point your LD_LIBRARY_PATH there
> before running R.
>
>   What's your clients motivation for this?

Thanks for the suggestion of separately insalled libraries. That seems like
the most sensible way to go if needed.

As far as motivation -- The spec for this proposal contains several bullets
describing required "Software Quality Attributes" including this one:

* Submitted metrics codes should make use of static libraries instead of
dynamic libraries, in order for the package to remain more self-contained
and continue to operate despite platform upgrades.

With the information you've given I will suggest that, if they wish to
support modular components written in R (and they do), they will have to
relax this particular requirement with suggestions as to how to create
separate link directories if needed.

Thanks very much for your input.

Jon