[R] boxplots

Joshua Wiley jwiley.psych at gmail.com
Fri Jul 29 16:29:22 CEST 2011

Hi Martin,

As Sarah said, I do not know of any way to "change the default", but
you can certainly do it manually each time.  Here is an example:

## generate some data
set.seed(10)
x <- rnorm(101)
## store boxplot results
s <- boxplot(x, plot = FALSE)
## look at them
## replace the stats with lower and upper quartile
s$stats[c(2, 4), 1] <- quantile(x, c(.25, .75), TRUE, type = 7)
## plot updated boxplot
bxp(s)

That said, you will still have to pick what algorithm you want for
your quartiles.  This demonstrates the nine algorithms:

t(sapply(1:9, function(i) quantile(x, c(.25, .75), TRUE, type = i)))

You can find their specific details in the article:

Hyndman, R. J., & Fan, Y. (1996). Sample Quantiles in Statistical
Packages. The American Statistician, 50(4), 361 - 365.

Hope this helps,

Josh

On Fri, Jul 29, 2011 at 4:39 AM, Martin Olofsson
<martin.olofsson at zoologi.su.se> wrote:
> Hi!
>
> My name is Martin and I have a problem concerning the boxplot function in R.
> I want my boxes to be limited by the 1st and 3rd quartile and NOT the
> 'hinges' values that are the default setting in R.
> Do anyone knows if there is any command that I could do to change this
> default setting?
>
> Sincerely
>
> Martin Olofsson

Joshua Wiley