[R] ggplot2 help/suggestions needed

ONKELINX, Thierry Thierry.ONKELINX at inbo.be
Fri Jul 29 10:56:24 CEST 2011

Dear Bruce,

It's doable with ggplot2, but image() is probably a better solution.

To use ggplot2, you will need to convert your array into a data.frame where each row has the information for one cell (x, y and colour)

library(ggplot2)
#create some dummy data
dataset <- expand.grid(x = seq_len(10), y = seq_len(10))
dataset$r <- rescale(dataset$x)
dataset$g <- rescale(dataset$y)
dataset$b <- rescale(dataset$x - dataset$y)

#create the colour information
dataset$colour <- with(dataset, rgb(r, g, b))
dataset$fColour <- factor(dataset$colour)

#the plot
ggplot(dataset, aes(x = x, y = y, fill = fColour)) + geom_tile() + scale_fill_manual(values = levels(dataset$fColour))

Best regards,

Thierry

ir. Thierry Onkelinx
Instituut voor natuur- en bosonderzoek
team Biometrie & Kwaliteitszorg
Gaverstraat 4
9500 Geraardsbergen
Belgium

Research Institute for Nature and Forest
team Biometrics & Quality Assurance
Gaverstraat 4
9500 Geraardsbergen
Belgium

tel. + 32 54/436 185
Thierry.Onkelinx op inbo.be
www.inbo.be

To call in the statistician after the experiment is done may be no more than asking him to perform a post-mortem examination: he may be able to say what the experiment died of.
~ Sir Ronald Aylmer Fisher

The plural of anecdote is not data.
~ Roger Brinner

The combination of some data and an aching desire for an answer does not ensure that a reasonable answer can be extracted from a given body of data.
~ John Tukey