[R] Plotting problems directional or rose plots

kitty kitty.a1000 at gmail.com
Tue Jul 26 23:20:24 CEST 2011

Hi,

I'm trying to get a plot that looks somewhat like the attached image
(sketched in word).
I think I need somthing called a rose diagram? but I can't get it to do what
I want. I'm happy to use any library.

Essentially, I want a circle with degree slices every 10 degrees with 0 at
the top representing north, and
'tick marks' around the outside in 10 degree increments to match the slices
(so the slices need to be ofset by 5 degrees so the 0 degree slice actually
faces north)
I then want to be able to colour in the slices depending on the distance
that the factor extends to; so for example the 9000 dist is the largest in
the example so should fill the slice,
a distance in this plot of 4500 would fill halfway up the slice.
I also want to be able to specify the colour of each slice so that I can
relate it back to the spatial correlograms I have.

I have added some sample data below.

Thank you for reading my post,
All help is greatly appreciated,

sample data:

#distance factor extends to
dist<-c(5000,7000,9000,4500,6000,500)

#direction
angle<-c(0,10,20,30,40,50)

#list of desired colour example, order corrisponds to associated
angle/direction
color.list<-c('red','blue','green','yellow','pink','black')

(my real data is from 0 to 350 degrees, and so I have corresponding distance
and colour data for each 10 degree increment).