[R] Invalid "times" argument?

Duncan Murdoch murdoch.duncan at gmail.com
Tue Jul 26 15:42:03 CEST 2011

On 26/07/2011 8:48 AM, Rohini Sen wrote:
> Hello,
>

> I'm new to R and work with psychometrics (Item response theory). I was using
> a package called "cirt" to model a data that contains only 0s, 1s and 9s. The
> package is basically used for Monte Carlo Markov Chain estimation of
> parameters and I specified 5000 iterations. The model seems to run fine but
> when I try to recover odds ratio statistics using the function "irtfit" (part
> of the cirt package), I keep getting the following error. I tried to already
> look on R mailing list serves to understand what this could possibly mean. My
> only understanding so far is that there is some entry in my data set that is
> not a 0, 1 or a 9..or that there's some spacing issue? I did check my data
> thoroughly though and there seems to be no issue.
>

> Odds Ratio Statistic
>                   item   Error in rep("*", wholeWidths[i]) : invalid 'times'
> argument
>

> Can some one please advise? Any ideas would help. Thank you so much!

This is likely something only the author or maintainer of the cirt
package can help you with.  You can find their names in the information
printed by

library(help=cirt)

If you need to debug it yourself, use the traceback() function to find
where the error occurred, then get the source to the package from CRAN,
and get to work.  Debugging existing code is one way to learn a
language, but it's not for everyone.

Duncan Murdoch