[R] inline/Rcpp: Problem with space in path under Windows

Dirk Eddelbuettel edd at debian.org
Sun Jul 24 13:14:34 CEST 2011

Hi Dieter,

Thanks for your interest in Rcpp.  We generally prefer questions about Rcpp /
RInside / ... on the rcpp-devel list.

On 24 July 2011 at 01:09, Dieter Menne wrote:
| I am trying to run inline/Rcpp under Windows 64. The RTools are installed on
| a spaceless path D:\rtools.
|
| Inlining pure c-code works perfectly. When I try the sample code for cpp in
| the cxx Documentation, I get:
|
| x86_64-w64-mingw32-g++.exe: C:/Program: No such file or directory
|
| The path to the compiler is correct. Obviously there is some problem with
| the space in C:/Program (Files).
|
| Any ideas where to look for the settings that caused the failure?

Rcpp and its related packages expand $(R_HOME) et al to build arguments
assigned to PKG_CXXFLAGS and PKG_LIBS, either via environment variables (in
the case of the 'inline' package) or via arguments in Makevars and
Makevars.win.  We need to quote strings etc, and unfortunately it seems to
break once you have space in there --- presumably from installing R itself in
a path with spaces.  As I recall, the R-Windows FAQ recommends against it
too.  as spaces in filenames are not supported.

I know of no other fix than to move your R installation.  Or to manually
rewrite the installation / build snippets.  Things will compile and link, you "just" need
to re-build all the Makevars.win etc scripts to use absolute paths, possibly
with 8.3 notation.

Sorry,  Dirk

--
Gauss once played himself in a zero-sum game and won $50.
                      -- #11 at http://www.gaussfacts.com