[R] Latex Table for means and standard deviations in brackets

Peter Lomas peter.lomas at ucalgary.ca
Wed Jul 20 23:22:05 CEST 2011

Hi Jim,

Perhaps somebody else knows a smoother way, but in the past I have
just built my table in R as a matrix then used xtable.  Here's what I
would do with your example:

library(xtable)
dataset1 = matrix( c(1,2,3,4, 5, 6 ), 2 , 3)
dataset2 = matrix( c(4,3,5,10, 1, 0), 2, 3)

dataset <- rbind(dataset1,dataset2)  #combine dataset

means <- apply(dataset,1,mean)  #calculate row means
sds <- apply(dataset,1,sd)	#calculate row standard deviation

msd <- paste(round(means,2)," (",round(sds,2),")",sep="") #mean and
standard deviation

rn <- c("Var1","Var2")  #rownames
cn <- c("Dataset1","Dataset2") #column names
tab <- matrix(msd,2,2,dimnames=list(rn,cn))

tab
     Dataset1 Dataset2
Var1 "3 (2)"  "3.33 (2.08)"
Var2 "4 (2)"  "4.33 (5.13)"

xtable(tab)

If there is a better way, I'd love to know it myself.

Peter