[R] How to convert number (matlab) to date

John jwd at surewest.net
Wed Jul 20 06:26:37 CEST 2011

On Monday, July 18, 2011 05:56:14 peter dalgaard wrote:
> but even this is dubious, since there is no year 0 AD. In Gregorian and
> Julian calendars, 1 BC continues directly into 1 AD.

Although this seems to be a widely recognized "problem," I would argue it is
an entirely specious one.  It makes no more sense to recognize a "year 0" than
it would worry about the lack of a "zeroth" inch or We name centuries and
decades without issues.   in smaller time intervals with no problem.  The
entire concern comes down to naming issue.  Whenever a fraction from the first
inch on a ruler is named, it is written as 0.* or */** - with either a
preceding 0, or as a common fraction written without any preceding whole
number.  Every year in the 19th century starts with "18" yet few people are
confused.  Why has this ever been regarded as an issue?

JWDougherty