[R] time zone - any practical solution?

Gabor Grothendieck ggrothendieck at gmail.com
Tue Jul 12 14:16:02 CEST 2011

On Tue, Jul 12, 2011 at 6:58 AM, B Laura <gm.spam2011 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> Could someone help me with the time zones in understandable & practical way?
> I got completely stucked with this.
>
> Have googled for a while and read the manuals, but without solutions...

> When data imported  from Excel 2007 into R (2.13)
>
> all time variables, depending on date (summer or winter) get (un-asked for
> it!) a time zone addition CEST (for summer dates) or CET (for winter dates).

Read
http://rwiki.sciviews.org/doku.php?id=tips:data-io:ms_windows&s=excel
which gives many ways of reading Excel into R and read R News 4/1
which discusses appropriate R classes to use (you would b best to use
Date, not POSIXct, in which case you could not have time zone problems
in the first place) and internal representations of R vs. Excel.

--
Statistics & Software Consulting
GKX Group, GKX Associates Inc.
email: ggrothendieck at gmail.com