[R] Sweave in R 2.13.1 doesn't support cp1250 encoding

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Mon Jul 11 16:06:59 CEST 2011

On Mon, 11 Jul 2011, Tomaz wrote:

> I upgraded R on windows xp from 2.12.2 to 2.13.1 and now I can not process Rnw
> files with windows cp1250 encoding. Sweave complains:

Which is of course not an ISO Standard encoding.  One way out is to
use the ISO encoding latin2, which is supported.

>    file.Rnw declares an encoding that Sweave does not know about
>
> What can I do beside downgrade R? When will Sweave support more encodings?
> Has anybody found a solution?

It is a great pity that you did not raise this during the
alpha/beta/RC period of R 2.13.0, and that you did not give the 'at a
minimum' information asked for in the posting guide so we do not know
your locale.  Nor do we have the 'commented, minimal, self-contained,
reproducible' example we asked for.

These things happen because of lack of cooperation from users with
unusual requirements.  Note that in several months no one else has
reported a need for cp1250.

The short answer is that now 2.13.1 was missed, it will be 2.14.0 and
2.13.1 patched: please do try a version of the latter dated tomorrow
or later (r56361 or later) since there is no way we can test if the
change made is adequate without your example.

Next time you wish to request an enhancement to R for an very unusual
usage case, please write to R-devel with full details and an example.
Very much preferably, do so during the pre-release testing period.