[R] Basic vector logic not working

DimmestLemming NICOADAMS000 at GMAIL.COM
Sat Jul 9 19:31:24 CEST 2011

I am interning in a computer science lab and I'm very new to R. The language
basics are clear, but this particular problem isn't:

I have a very large dataframe called "data" which holds data from Halo
matches. I'm trying to analyze a certain window such that data$deaths>20 and
data$deaths<=27.

When I enter the line

kills = data$kills[data$deaths>20]

or any single condition, it selects the region I want. However, when I input

kills = data$kills[data$deaths>20 && data$deaths<=27]

"kills" becomes the entire vector data$kills, without selecting any specific
region.

This is a simple problem, but I can't find anything wrong. How could I fix
it?