[R] Making a new package: licence

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Sat Jul 9 10:41:54 CEST 2011

Because the common FOSS licenses are installed with R, CRAN asks you
to refer to those copies not distribute your own.  See 'Writing R
Extensions'.

I agree that most R packages are lacking copyright statements (which
is a separate issue, and whose purpose varies by jurisdiction:
provided ownership is clear, they are not needed in the UK according
to an IP lawyer acquaintance of mine).  For any 'public' R package the
authorship should be made clear: most often the Author: field in the
DESCRIPTION file suffices.

There is one issue which this thread has missed and may affect the
licence.  If your package is pure R code and R acts as the
interpreter, the licence of R does not (according to most people) come
into play.  If you start linking to R's internals via compiled code or
via .Internal calls, you may well be making a derivative work.  See
for example
http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html#IfInterpreterIsGPL (which is
the GPL-3 FAQ, only one of the two licences available for R, and that
interpretation is not the only one).