[R] Protecting R code

Mon Jul 4 20:18:39 CEST 2011

On Mon, Jul 4, 2011 at 2:04 PM, Barry Rowlingson
<b.rowlingson at lancaster.ac.uk> wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 4, 2011 at 5:48 PM, Vaishali Sadaphal <vaishali.sadaphal at tcs.com
>> wrote:
>

>> Hey All,
>>
>> Thank you so much for quick replies.
>> Looks like translation to C/C++ is the only robust option. Do you think
>> there exists any ready-made R to C translator?
>>

>  No, I think they are normally all born without the R to C translation
> skills and acquire them through a long process of going to school and
> college and spending long long hours studying R and C...
>
>  I suggest that if your code is so commercially sensitive that you want it
> written in C, then hire a C programmer to do it. Money well spent.

Also -- check out Rcpp:
http://cran.r-project.org/web/packages/Rcpp/index.html

It will ease some of the R <--> C(++) bridging pain, but also provides
things like "sugar":
http://cran.r-project.org/web/packages/Rcpp/vignettes/Rcpp-sugar.pdf

Which may make writing your code in C++ a bit easier. YMMV, of course.

The library is also GPL though, so  I'm not sure what that will make
your end code. Although I guess you'll just be linking to it at the
end of the day, but I'm not sure what prevailing wisdom these days
about whether or not that restricts the license of your code.

HTH,

-steve

--
Steve Lianoglou