[R] VGAM constraints-related puzzle

Edward Wallace ewjwallace at gmail.com
Sun Jul 3 22:39:46 CEST 2011

Thomas Yee wrote :
> Hello,
>
> try
>
> rrvglm(y ~ 1 + bs(x), fam = multinomial, trace = TRUE)
>
> It seems what you want is a stereotype model with
> a smooth function.
> Unfortunately rrvglm() is restricted to regression splines.

Thank you very much. This seems to work, but occasionally quits
producing the cryptic error
"Error in devmu[smallmu] = smy * log(smu) :
  NAs are not allowed in subscripted assignments"

Any ideas?

> You could extract out the scaling coeffs and feed them
> into vgam() using the constraints argument, but that
> would not be optimal in any strict sense.
Really? I thought I had tried adding constraint matrices such as [1 ;
2] and vglm raised an error saying it needed entries to be 1 or 0. I
can check that if you'd like.

Edward

--
Edward Wallace, PhD