[R] Downloading data from internet

Mike Marchywka marchywka at hotmail.com
Tue Jan 25 13:52:02 CET 2011

> From: ggrothendieck at gmail.com
> Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2011 22:43:55 -0500
> To: megh700004 at gmail.com
> CC: r-help at r-project.org
> Subject: Re: [R] Downloading data from internet
>
> On Mon, Jan 24, 2011 at 8:48 PM, Megh Dal  wrote:
> > Dear all, I need to download an excel file from net, on which I have address
> > like http://www.2shared.com/file/MMSMWv4B/MyData.html. Can I somehow
> > directly download this file into my R workbook?
> >

> If you have a direct URL to the file (not the URL in your post which
> just points a web page) then see the gdata example on this page:
>
> http://rwiki.sciviews.org/doku.php?id=tips:data-io:ms_windows

Also,  try to get the problem fixed properly by contacting site
webmaster and admin ( the webmaster is unlikely to have authority himself
to do something useful and indeed may think that complicated download procedures
are cool). Tell them you are trying to load data into a computer program and that is
more complicated than it needs to be. This comes up a lot. Scraping html
is often difficult and unstable.