[R] Assumptions for ANOVA: the right way to check the normality

Mike Marchywka marchywka at hotmail.com
Tue Jan 11 04:07:12 CET 2011

( again top posting since hotmail isn't adding ">" and these comments
apply to whole thread anyway )

I'm not a statistician either but rather an engineer who has had a chance to use
my intro stats/math background to look at some real life situations.
I'm just making comments for conversation, hoping to elicit more specifics from experts willing
to talk ( but even with these caveats I have noted my posts are getting quite
sloppy ). There is nothing wrong with wanting to be rigorous and replicate
the approach others have taken and select the best tests. However, if this is a thesis and you
want to do meaningful research, you really will have to be more concerned
about the results, not just parroting stuff that may or may not help you
understand your data. Personally I would suggest a book, not just buy
a consultant, and use dead time to play with formulas and think about them-
paper and pencil are still worthwhile and it would help your latter work if
you had some idea what these numbers may or may not mean. None of this
math should be beyond you.
If you  run every test that could be of interest and is easy to code in R, plow through the
formula and reconcile apparent agreements and disagreements using algebra, run sensitivity tests,
add noise to data remove points etc and do it all again, then could start to
see  what would happen if your
data or residuals from some fit or some other thing were not normally distributed. It should
pop out of the analysis.  You ought to be

able to do simple things like get SSE's without using any stats packages and

see if you can step through the stuff.

To give you
perspective on what your peers are doing, this is a search on an recent
controversy in which you may be interested before looking for cookbook approaches.
I looked at this in a few years now maybe it has been settled but these
are respected folk using terms like "voodoo" for stat analysis,

http://www.google.com/#sclient=psy&hl=en&q=vul+fmri+voodoo

maybe this in particular,

http://afni.nimh.nih.gov/pub/dist/doc/misc/voodoo.pdf

and I'm sure you can easily find others.

No one is suggesting you ignore experts and do your own thing, it is easy
to mislead yourself if you don't look for sanity checks, just
that the field is a bit open and you are unlikely to get a cookbook
result for a single test that gives you THE P VALUE.