[R] Cannot allocate memory block

poisontonic poison.my.tonic at googlemail.com
Tue Feb 15 21:05:41 CET 2011

Hi, I'm using the latest version of 64-bit R for Windows: R x64 2.12.1

I'm using it because I currently need to do hierarchical clustering on a
very large object (too big for MATLAB, which I normally use).
When I try to cluster my distance matrix d (obtained using dist on my design
matrix):
hc <- hclust(d, method = 'average')

I get an errror:
Error in hclust(d, method = "average") :
  cannot allocate memory block of size 3.8 Gb

However, the memory limits appear to be 16GB:
> memory.limit()
[1] 16378

Does anyone know why R cannot allocate a memory block of size 3.8 GB, even
though this is well within its memory limits??
Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks alot,

Ben