[R] Simulate skewed data with known mean and median

James Shaw shawjw at gmail.com
Sat Aug 27 18:07:37 CEST 2011

Can anyone suggest how to simulate data from a continuous, unimodal,
positively skewed, two-tailed distribution with known mean and median
and, preferably, a known variance?  I am interested in comparing the
power of some robust estimators and wish to generate data that
resemble a known distribution with the following parameters: mean=5,
median=2, SD=9, min=-7, max=80, mode(1)=5.  I am aware of an approach
used by Thomas Hettsmansperger to evaluate his test of symmetry and am
attaching a description of the procedure.  (I believe is not against