[R] R CMD check thinks my function is an S3 method

Peter Langfelder peter.langfelder at gmail.com
Wed Aug 3 22:41:34 CEST 2011

Hi all,

in my package I have a function with name plot.cor (this function is
inherited from another legacy package). According to CRAN package
checks reports, the check apparently thinks plot.cor is a method for
the plot generic (I hope I'm using the correct terminology).

checking Rd \usage sections ... NOTE
S3 methods shown with full name in documentation object 'plot.cor':
‘plot.cor’

Although technically it doesn't seem to be an error (and CRAN
maintainers haven't warned me about this), I was asked to clean up the
package to the point where the package check goes through without any
problems.

My question is: do I need to rename the function (e.g. to plotCor,
which won't be mistaken for an S3 method) or is there a way to tell R
that this is not an S3 method?

Thanks,

Peter